Friday, November 19, 2010

I'm Back! - 11 Days post-op from ACL, MCL Reconstruction!!

So, the past 11 days have been quite challenging both physically and emotionally.  On November 8th, 2010, I had ACL, MCL reconstruction using hamstring and patellar tendon from the injured knee.  The PCL was left alone since his goal was to take a 3 ligament injury and turn it into a 1 ligament injury.  The plan for surgery was to use an allograft (achilles tendon) but that changed.  I also woke up from surgery 4 hours later to 40 staples forming a beautiful L on my knee. Well, I slept for the first 3-4 days batttling the side effects of the pain killers and anesthesia (mild nausia and dizziness)  .  By about day 5 I decided to start spending more time on the couch with my CPM machine continuously bending my knee!  The pain during the first week was not all that bad other than the rush of pain in the shin and calf when changing elevations.  The doctor explained that it was the blood that was lying beneath the surface of the skin as a result of the bone drilling/plugs during surgery- very common!

Now into week two, the pain is very manageable but it has now become knife jabbing pain in the kneecap!  It's not as bad as the calf and shin from week one, but it can be bothersome.  Yesterday I saw the surgeon again and the staples were removed from the incision.  Icing the knee feels great and I'm using my cryocuff all the time - it is a lifesaver!!  One thing that is very bothersome is the numbness below the knee and around the incision, however I know it will slowly get better.  I'm heading to the physiotherapist on Monday with a program to work on range of motion to 90 degrees over the next 6 weeks.  I'm also partial weight bearing to maximum 50% during this time as well.  Looking forward to my physiotherapist's cold ice and great conversations.   I told my children that they could decorate my crutches for the holiday season and they were thrilled.  Although I feel as though I have gone though all of this already (post injury), this time it's different - I've started on the road to recovery!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! You sound like you have emerged from the surgery without too many complaints. I hope your ongoing recovery and rehab are successful.

    ReplyDelete